Application Closing Date – August 13, 2021.
Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter by electronic mail to the following
address: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 11:59 p.m. on Friday, August 13, 2021.
Applications received via email will be the ONLY applications considered. Phone calls, or other
contacts will NOT be considered.
Salary: $151,176 annually
The City of Chicago Office of the Corporation Counsel is seeking highly qualified applicants for the
position of Deputy Corporation Counsel – City Prosecutor. The successful candidate will serve as a
senior member of the law department under the direction of the Corporation Counsel to coordinate and
direct citywide prosecution activities involving ordinance violations of the Municipal Code. The responsible
individual will also manage the Legal and Information Prosecutions Division which is responsible for the
litigation pertaining to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and other related legal operations
• Advises the Law department attorneys and operating department liaisons on the interpretation of laws, and strategies for prosecuting municipal code violations.
• Manages the attorneys and law clerks that represent the City in administrative hearings and the
prosecution of cited ordinance violations and performs and oversees the legal research related to such charges and prosecutions.
• Oversees the work of investigative staff within city departments, ensuring activities are legal and
comply with city policies.
• Develops protocols for sharing information among operating departments and external
organizations responsible for enforcing ordinance violations.
• Oversees the advice to city departments on responding to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
requests and manages any related litigation.
• Confers with inspectors, sworn personnel and federal and state enforcement agencies to
coordinate responses pertaining to highly complex or sensitive cases.
• Coordinate prosecutions involving multiple departments to ensure optimal enforcement options,
and drafts and reviews the content of legal filings for compliance with municipal laws.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of city prosecutions, compiles statistical data, prepares comprehensive
reports on the results of prosecutions, and recommends procedural changes to improve operations.
• Plans, develops, and establishes goals, objectives, and division policies and procedures
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
• Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school
• Admission to the Illinois Bar and active Illinois license to practice law
• 10+ years legal and management/executive level experience
• Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management
• Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Federal, state, and local litigation experience
• Federal and state legislation and its impact on City ordinances
• Supervisory and management methods, practices, and procedures
• Administrative adjudication practices and procedures
• Knowledge of Freedom of Information Act policy
• Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
• General knowledge of City policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
• Skill to plan, organize and implement processes
• Attentive to detail and deadlines
• Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks and properly prioritize workflow
• Ability to listen, read, and understand complex information in a short amount of time
All employees of the City of Chicago must be residents of the City of Chicago as outlined in
Chicago Municipal Code Section 2-152-050. Proof of residency will be required.
All employees of the City of Chicago must demonstrate commitment to and compliance with
applicable state and federal laws, City ordinances and rules, City Ethics standards, and other City
policies and procedures.
City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
This posting is for internal and external applicants.